This week I've been thinking about sending out a save-the-date for my upcoming birthday celebrations. The plan is to let my guests know about the date of the party in advance, but also to set the tone for evening. It's really important to do this if you're planning your wedding, and here are some fun save-the-date ideas that I think would create a stir and maximise your chances of a favourable response:
• Pipe your wedding date onto homemade biscuits with icing and post out to guests in little boxes.
• Send out save-the-date stickers that guests can pop in their diaries.
• Hand stamp your names and wedding date onto luggage tags (pictured).
• Make a homemade photo strip of you and your groom. Simply take four pictures in total and hold up a sign in each one. Photo 1) We're getting married. Photo 2) Save the Date. Photo 3) Dec 5, 2010. Photo 4) Be there! Print out the photos and stick onto blank postcards.
• Post out personalised refrigerator magnets with your names and wedding date
• For summer weddings, ask your stationer to make up paper fans or mini paper pinwheels printed with your wedding details.
• If you opt for a traditional save-the-date card, it's a good idea to use bold bright colours that will make an impact and will stay in the thoughts of the most absentminded guests. Choose graphics or colours that make sense to the location and season of your wedding. For example, pink blossom flowers for a spring wedding, or a save-the-date card tied with a blue ribbon for a beach wedding.