More ideas to keep your wedding budget in check...
6 months to go
• Keep an eye on the high street: H.Samuel (www.hsamuel.co.uk) and Ernest Jones (www.ernestjones.co.uk) have regular sales and discounts.
• Go independent: Visit London's Hatton Garden or Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter - you're likely to get more rock for your pound from independent jewellers, and they tend to be more open to negotiation.
• Choose your metal wisely: Platinum is the most expensive; consider white gold instead.
• Shop at Tesco: The supermarket (www.tesco.com) has teamed up with Goldsmiths (www.goldsmiths.co.uk) so you can swap Clubcard vouchers for jewels - choose your ring at a Goldsmiths store and pay for it with reward points.
• Look online: You can save a packet buying your ring through the internet - but remember that you'll be wearing it for the rest of your life so don't compromise on style. If you want to try before you buy, Wedding Rings Direct (www.weddingrings-direct.com) will let you visit its Brighton offices before you commit.