We wouldn't encourage you to take a break from retail therapy unless it was something pretty special right? Like say, a pre-wedding pamper? A visit to Groom in Selfridges is an absolute must right now, as the 'gold' facial is a real treat with instant results. A sonic cleanse, nourishing face and eye mask (containing crushed pearls and caviar) and the DIBI Gold Performance, which indeed contains particles of gold - the treatment not only leaves you cleansed, massaged and rejuvenated, but your face literally glows. If you are going to treat yourself then why not go all the way and a book a manicure or pedicure while your visage is attended to. And the final touch? Lip gloss, mascara and blusher - meaning you can assume the retail position looking fabulous. The Gold Standard Facial priced at £140.00 or £165.00 to include the eye mask
Perfect a genuine, deep-down wedding day glow with a restorative trip to The Beach House wellbeing retreat, situated on the secluded sands of the beautiful Sernabatim Beach in South Goa. Drawing on India's roots in holistic therapies, The Beach House have developed a special brides-to-be package which combines a tailor-made detox and menu programme with fitness training for 'inside-and-out' wellbeing. While this might all sound quite rigorous, the centre's numerous massages, facials, plus mani- and pedicures and Ayurvedic treatments pave the way for complete relaxation- there's even a personal butler on hand to cater to your every need! The Beach House's bride-to-be package will be available in the New Year and is as ideal for an ultra-luxurious hen weekend as a pre-wedding treat. Prices start at £750 per person for seven nights with all treatments and therapies included. See www.thebeachhousegoa.com for more information.
It's our office Christmas party tonight and I've found the perfect way to take my eyes from daytime-blah to evening-bling. All you need is a black kohl eyeliner pencil with a good soft smudger on the other end. If your daytime wedding moves into the night, trust me, this is the simplest and quickest way to upgrade your look.
- Close one eye and pull it gently out to the side with your finger, to leave a crease-free surface upon which to draw your eyeliner.
- Run the pencil over the lash roots on the top eyelid. You want to get as close as possible, so rather than draw one line try connecting little dashes together. It won't look perfect to start with but that's where the smudger comes in: gently blend the dashes so it looks like a smokey line.
- Next, lift and gently press your upper eyelid with your middle finger to expose the fleshy underneath of your lash rim. Rub the pencil along lash roots and over the fleshy bit. This creates a really intense frame along your upper lashes.
- As for the lower lashes, tread carefully here: too much liner and you're heading into Princess Diana territory! Take the smudger, which already has a small amount of liner on it from before, and gently stroke it through the lower lashes. It's a bit like adding mascara to your lower lashes without making them spidery.
- I wouldn't draw over the fleshy part of the inner lower lash. It makes the eyes look very small. And in any case, the eyeliner from the top fleshy lash line should transfer the perfect little amount to the lower part.
Voila - all done - and it only takes a couple of minutes!
PS: Here are some great eyeliner recommendations if you're thinking of buying a new one:
Clinique Quickliner for Eyes in Really Black, £12, at www.clinique.co.uk
RMK Ingenious Pencil Eyeliner in 01 Black, £14.70, at www.lookfantastic.com
Benefit BADgal Waterproof Eye Pencil in Really Black, £13.50, at www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk
Models Own Kohl Pencil in Black, £4, at www.asos.com
If you're looking to do your own make-up for your big day, as so many brides are nowadays, then you can't go far wrong with these wonder kits. A seven-piece eye defining and lining set, and a seven-piece radiance-boosting and highlighting kit - guaranteed to make a make-up artist out of you yet! The simple step-by-step guides take the guesswork out of looking flawless whilst the handy, expert tools provide precision application. What's more, each product is formulated with 100% pure minerals, so they'll feel as good on your skin as they look. Get ready for your close-up.
£35 (eyes) and £39.50 (complexion), www.bareescentuals.co.uk