Dominic Trooper, Men’s Fashion Stylist at The Wedding Gallery in Marylebone, London, shares his groomswear insights on what the coolest of grooms will wear on their wedding days in 2019.
What'll be HOT
- For the ultimate sophistication, the three-piece suit is definitely back in favour for 2019, and styles will be sharper than ever. An impeccably tailored and flawlessly fitted design will work perfectly for a super sleek ceremony showpiece. As formalities end and the party really starts, the jacket can be removed and shirt sleeves pushed up for a cool, confident and more relaxed look. The range of SJ Soane three-piece suits should be top of your 2019 groom suit hot list.
- Bold and bright are buzzwords for 2019’s modern man. For the groom who wants to put his best fashion foot forward and let the threads do the talking, vibrant suits in bright hues such as purple, burgundy or ink blue are massively on trend. Casely-Hayford tailoring is a great option for this look, which diverts from the traditional greys and blues of a groom’s attire.
- There’s a fine line between cool and not cool when it comes to tweed, but you can definitely walk it the right way in 2019. Work slim cuts and contrasting colours to create a contemporary aesthetic, as well as delivering some dynamic personality to your wedding day look.
- Create a stand-out-from-the-wedding-party-crowd look by introducing a selection of shades and styles. Use the same cloth for the groom and groomsmen but tweak style and detailing for a strong and cohesive – yet individual – look. Subtle differences will speak volumes in the style stakes. Adapt waistcoat and lapel styles for a look that’s original but, mostly importantly, not contrived.
- Finally, it’s currently all about slim fit from top to bottom. Straight or tapered trouser legs are an absolute must but it’s key to replicate that style from the waist up too. A slim jacket that emphasizes chest and shoulders will deliver a masculine, athletic silhouette right the way through.
What will not
- Wearing trainers with your suit – previously a trend, it’s now been totally overdone. Instead, treat yourself to a really smart pair of shoes to match your outfit. After all, shoes tell a lot about the man wearing them. Save those trainers for the honeymoon!
- Wearing a loose-fitting shirt. You might be more comfortable, but you need to look sharp! Have a second or third shirt to change into, if needs be.
- Boring socks. Socks are a really great way to show some personality. Don't miss the opportunity to show yours.
- A regular notch lapel. This is your big day. Show them you're important by wearing a peaked lapel – or why not stand out with a controversial shawl lapel, even on a lounge suit?!