Before you say 'I do' there is quite a bit of paper work to be done. We answer the most-asked questions to help you plan, from when to wed to 'giving notice'...


What are banns?

Banns are a legal requirement for Church of England weddings.

Your intention to marry is announced by your minister on three Sundays in the three months before the wedding. They must be read in your parish church, as well as in the church where the ceremony is to take place.

When booking your ceremony, your minister will give you details for the wording as well as the fees.


What is 'giving notice'?

It is a legal requirement that formalizes your intentions to marry. Regardless of where you will wed, you need to go to your local register office with proof of identity and any previous marriage documents, as well as detail of where you will marry.

Visit or your town hall website for more information.

You will meet with a registrar to complete the documents, which must be on view for 15 days at the offices, as of March 2015 that notice period will be extended to 28 days.

For your marriage to be legal, you need to give at least 28 days notice before your wedding and no more than 12 months in advance.


Can you marry on any day, at any time?

You can marry on any day, including Sunday, but many local authorities are closed on bank holidays, and churches are busy, making those days unlikely. The date is at the discretion of the person marrying you.

A change in the law has removed restrictions on when you can wed, so you can now exchange vows at any time of the day!