So you've figured out when and where you want to marry. Now to face the next big question: How? We gather the most popular ways to marry in the UK:

Civil ceremony

This can take place in a register office or any place licensed to hold weddings under the Marriage Act. Such premises must be permanent buildings (which rules out gardens and unmoored boats), that are open to the public and not connected with any religion. Unless you marry at a register office, you will need to book a registrar to marry you. For a full list of approved premises, priced at £10, call the appropriate General Register Office.


Civil ceremonies in Scotland

Wherever you live in the UK, you may marry in a civil (or humanist) ceremony in Scotland by submitting notice forms to the registrar up to three months (and not less than 15 days) before the wedding day.

Church of England

You once had to be associated with a church to marry there, but thanks to a change in the law, there's now more flexibility. Just one of you needs to have a connection with the parish - ie having been baptised there or having lived nearby for at least six months. Talk to the vicar or visit

Church of Scotland

Provided it is conducted by an authorised celebrant, a wedding can take place anywhere in Scotland, with no residency required. Give notice at the register office at least 15 days (up to three months) before the date, though.


Roman Catholic

One of you must be a baptised Catholic to wed in a Catholic church. Sometimes a marriage preparation courses may be required - speak to your priest.

Jewish Wedding

This usually takes place in a synagogue, but can also be held in other venues.


Other Religions

Marriage is covered by the superintendent-registrar's certificate, issued at the register office before the day.


Humanism is a non-religious philosophical movement that also provides marriage ceremonies. They are not legally binding in England and Wales, so many couples have a separate civil ceremony before their humanist one.