With a civil partnership, couples of the same sex can be legally recognised and hold the same rights as married couples concerning taxes, benefits, pensions, immigration among other matters.

Same-sex couples must firstly contact the registration office to inform your purpose of declaring the civil partnership. Then the registration authority publicises notices for 15 days. The General Register Office has informative instructions on how to register a civil partnership.

For more information, visit: www.direct.gov.uk