Church of England If you live in the same parish as the church you want to get married in, contact your minister who will explain the banns system to you. Banns are called on three Sundays before the wedding to allow any objections to your union to be raised. If you don't live in the parish in which you wish to be married, the vicar may still allow you to be added to the parish electoral roll and be considered a regular worshipper. Otherwise, you may apply for a special licence. For a full list of legally approved premises, call the General Register Office on 0151 471 4817 or visit to request a list (£5). Church of Scotland Provided it is conducted by an authorised celebrant, a religious ceremony can take place anywhere, with no residency requirement for marriage. Visit for information. At least 15 days' and up to three months' notice must be given at the register office in the district. Roman Catholic Both of you must be free to marry and one of you must be a baptised Catholic. Some form of preparation will be required of you. This will be decided upon by the priest. Jewish Weddings should usually take place in a synagogue but can be held in other venues, particularly for mixed-faith marriages. You may not marry on the Sabbath. Other religions Marriage is covered by the superintendent registrar's certificate, which is issued at your local register office before the wedding.