Be smart about additional costs with London-based tailor Mike Mandalia's guide to alterations...
A quick word of warning: Alteration prices do vary hugely so be sure to ask your tailor for a quote before agreeing to any adjustments.
The optional extras:
- Dress taken in from underarm to waist, from £65.
- Dress taken in from waist down, from £65.
- Adding a short train, from £120, plus fabric. A full train costs up to £300.
- Shortened train, from £60.
- Shortened straps, from £25.
- Bust darts added, from £60.
- Adding a sash, from £85, plus fabric.
- Adding a loop and bustle, from £35.
- Reworked sleeves, from £60.
- Zip added, from £35, depending on fabric.
- Hand-beaded straps, from £125. This is time-heavy. Consider ready-made beaded straps instead.
- Embroidery panel added to bodice, from £45, per panel, plus fabric.
- Shortened hem, from £75-200, dependent on number of layers and type of fabric.
! Please note that these are only guide prices. Cost will vary according to the tailor, supplier and fabrics you use
Mike Mandalia; www.mtailors.co.uk